Re: Simple question about upgrading programs

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 11:41:29PM +0300, Andras Lorincz wrote:
> I used to compile Xorg and mplayer from cvs. For mplayer I generate
> the debian package and in the case of Xorg use make install. My
> question is: do I need to uninstall the previously installed mplayer
> or Xorg before installing the new one, or I can install the new ones
> over the old ones?

First.  Please don't hijack a thread.  Start a new one.

Second, in the case of Debian package, no uninstallation is necessary.
In the case of Xorg, I am not sure (as I don't use it) but most from
source installs can be done over a previous version.  You will need to
read the README, NEWS, and any other release notes with your source.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr