Re: mutt + dovecot/squirrelmail + mbox ?

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> While I understand that maildir
> allows you to isolate corruption to single messages instead of the
> entire mailbox, I guess corruption just seems so unlikely that I
> haven't worried about it.  I'm sure it will bite me soon.

    Strictly speaking mbox is no different.  It is just a text file, nothing
more.  And let's not get into "what is a text file on unix" discussion again,
mmmmkay?  Anyway, corruption will have an effect on one message.  Load it in a
text editor, go to it, clear it out.  Simple as that.  Anything which could
wipe large swathes of messages could do it just as easily to maildir.  Trust
me, maildir isn't all that and a bag of chips.  Having been on the wrong side
of maildir give me mbox any day of the week.  At least with mbox 500Mb of mail
won't choke the machine into near uselessness.