Re: root is unable to change file permissions!

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 08:04:17PM +1200, Andreas Hatz wrote:

> We have an interesting phenomenon occuring on one of our servers. We
> have noticed that two files in the /bin directory have had their
> executable permissions removed and we are unable to chmod the files as
> root.

Check the output of mount; is the filesystem read-only? Check lsattr for
append and immutable flags. Chech getfacl, if your filesystem supports
ACLs.

If none of the obvious things turn up, I'd suspect a compromise.

--
Re-Interpreting Historic Miracles with SED #141: %s/water/wine/g