Re: reconstruct the system

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 07:15:18PM +0200, gustavo halperin wrote:
Hello

Yesterday I lost all my directory "/var". There is any posibility for reconstruct the system using
the information of the other directories ??
Probably not.
What can I do ??
Restore from the regular weekly/daily backups you keep.
 I haven't, but what is the best way for do it back up of the system,
any documentation over there ??

I have anothe partition in my laptop with knoppix, I´m currently using it. Can I just copy the
"/var" of the knoppix to the debian then make some final fix  ??
NO!!! This will cause very bad things to happen.  /var is a directory
that houses much data specific to your system.  Specifically, in Debian,
the status of the packages installed and available to your system.
Unless your Knoppix system is identical in every way (including the same
packages at the same versions installed from the same repositories)
copying it over will cause *severe* problems.  To say nothing of log
files, sockets for running processes, ntp drift statistics, and so on.
OK

What can I do ??
Probably just backup /home and /etc to a CD and reinstall.
Yes, I think the same, just I  wanted be sure that the was not other way.

-Roberto

   Really thanks

Gustavo Halperin