Re: xvnc4viewer and other vnc questions?

On 20:51, Tue 31 May 05, J F wrote:
> What is the difference between these two:
> xvnc4viewer (1)      - VNC viewer for X
> xvncviewer (1)       - VNC viewer for X
>
> http://packages.debian.org/testing/net/xvnc4viewer
>
> >From what I have read, tightvnc is prefered.
>
> A guy who runs different version of linux
> recommended this as:
> http://xf4vnc.sourceforge.net/doc.html
>
> He said it was more efficient in that it uses
> your desktop X server that supply all the desktops
> your CRT and also supplies the vnc desktop without
> starting another x-server.
>
> x11vnc must do something similar for debian, but
> seemed slow.  I tested it out running the client
> and server on the same machine.  The infinite
> cascade of windows inside vnc windows confused me
> at first.
>
> What vnc are you guys using?
> There seems to be also a java version in debian.

> Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

I personally like xtightvncviewer this was taken from the
package description.

 The difference between the xtightvncviewer and the normal
 vncviewer is the data encoding, optimized for low bandwidth connections. If
  the client do not support jpeg or zlib encoding it can use the default one.
   Later versions of xvncviewer (> 3.3.3r2) support a new automatic encoding
    that should be equally good as the tightvnc encoding.

    All I know is that it seems to be faster then the
    windows vnc client I have on some laptops, this system
    is slower than my other systems as well, but that could
    be down to the overall better net code in linux then in
    windows as well. But then again I am not an avid user of
    vnc, if it works then I am happy, give it a try and see
    what you think.

    Gnu_Raiz