Re: Unable to properly install 2 packages

On Tue, 2005-31-05 at 21:24 -0400, Marty wrote:
> J.F.Gratton wrote:
> [snip snip]
> > Setting up guile-1.6 (1.6.7-1) ...
> > dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute post-installation script: Exec
> > format error
> > dpkg: error processing guile-1.6 (--configure):
> >  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
>
> That script would be /var/lib/dpkg/info/guile-1.6.postinst

OK, here's a start. 'cept that the file looks some kind of informational
file used by apt/dpkg, *not* a script file or anything (at the bottom of
this message you'll have the contents of the file.

> If it exists and is uncorrupted, then you can try to debug it manually,
> or else just try purging the package and starting over again.

As the file does not contain any commands, I don't see anything to
debug.

My question remains, then:

> > How do I get out of the "Exec format error" ?
> >
> > On a related topic : is there a way to make apt "forget" a package,
> > and/or completely purge it from the disk, its installed packages list,
> > etc ? Just so I'd be able to reinstall it or a newer version sometime
> > later ?
>
> dpkg -P <pkg-name>

OK, OK, my question was poorly phrased :). I've been using Deb for
now... 4-5 years, so hopefully I know about dpkg :) What I meant to ask
is how do I completely dump a package (manually remove all traces of it)
when apt-get remove and dpkg -P fail ? My problem with guile is not only
when I try to install it, but also when I try to remove/purge the
package. You see, I had a power failure when dist-upgrading my system.

Thanks again,

Jeff