Re: grub vs lilo

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 00:22 -0500, Jon Roed wrote:
> I am currently running Debian and i am trying to change my boot loader.  I
> have GRUB right now, but i want to switch to LILO.  I uninstalled GRUB with
> KPackage and installed LILO.  I ran liloconfig and everything seems to be set
> up properly.  But somehow when i reboot i still get GRUB.  I checked my
> installed packages and it says GRUB is not installed.  Any ideas where and
> how GRUB could be hiding in my system and why LILO didn't take over as the
> Master Boot Loader when it was installed ?

Grub is uninstalled, but it is still written to your MBR. You'll need to
run 'lilo' as root (no options necessary) to get it to re-write itself
to the MBR and overwrite Grub.

Just out of curiosity, why are you switching FROM grub TO lilo? Most
people (myself included) do just the opposite.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837