Making LiveCDs

Hello,

I have read the recent guides on debian-adminstration.org on how to use
bootcd and dfsbuild to make Live CDs.  I thought that the best approach
would be to make a chroot system and configure it to my liking, then
burn that to CD.  I did the following but it falls down in the end;
would appreciate it if someone could tell me what I can do to fix is...

$ mkdir live
$ debootstrap sarge live/

I copied my /etc/apt/sources.list to the chroot, then chrooted into it
and mounted /proc.

I installed grub and then exited the chroot and used:

$ mkisofs -b lib/grub/i386-pc/stage2_eltorito -no-emul-boot
-boot-load-size 1 -boot-info-table -pad -R -o live.iso live

to make an ISO.

Of course I'd forgotten to put a kernel on there ;-) so I went back into
the chroot and tried to install kernel-image-2.4.27-speakup.  It failed
on trying to make the initrd, saying it couldn't determine the correct
root device.

How can I get around this?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

bye just now,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew@agrip.org.uk>