Re: Two internet connections

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 10:57 +0200, Meni Shapiro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You failed to mention what SMTP server you are running.
Sorry, I didn't think that would make a difference.  The SMTP issue is a
side effect of the routing problem.  The machine responds to all
connections from foreign networks via the default gateway, instead of
the interface that the connection was made two.   It's postfix by the
way :-)

The setup looks like this.  eth0 is local network, 192.168.1.1 is the
default gateway (IP-COP firewall).  eth1 is connected to a router, which
is connected to a least line.  For argument's sake, lets say eth1 is
203.203.203.21 (and the router is .20).  eth1 is a publicly routeable
IP.  It used to be the only internet connection, but the leased line is
going to be axed soon.  This machine used to be the firewall for the
network too, doing NAT with iptables, nothing fancy, as well as being
the mail gateway for an exchange server in the network.  Now it's just
running postfix.

So what happens is a connection comes in on eth1 from somewhere on the
internet, and the box tries to reply via the default gateway, which is
connected to a different ISP.

I found this:
http://linux-ip.net/html/adv-multi-internet.html
which seems to be the answer to my problem, will try it out tomorrow
when I have access to the building.

Thanks
--
Hans du Plooy