Re: exim SMTP Authentication (Follow-up)

Wayne Topa(linuxone@intergate.com) is reported to have said:
>  Adam
>
>   Thanks for the tip.  I have exim4, with exim4-daemon-light, installed and am
> still fighting to get AUTH working.  Here is what I have found.
>
> Telnet smtp.intergate.com 25
> EHLO intergate.com
> 250-corpweb.trip.net Hello host-69-95-14-38.roc.choiceone.net [69.95.14.38],
> ple
> ased to meet you
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-SIZE 40000000
> 250-DSN
> 250-ETRN
> 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
> 250-DELIVERBY
> 250 HELP
>
> seems to indicate cram-md5 'should' work but here is what I get when I try to
> send from this address:
>  cram_md5 authenticator failed H=smtp.intergate.com [216.139.64.8] 535 5.7.0
> authentication failed
> if I comment the cram_md5 authenticator out, leaving only the plain and login
> authenticators I get (trying to get on the exim4 mail list)
> pkg-exim4-users-request@lists.alioth.debian.org R=smarthost
> T=remote_smtp_smarthost: SMTP error from remote mailer after
>  RCPT TO:<pkg-exim4-users-request@lists.alioth.debian.org>: host
> smtp.intergate.com [216.139.64.8]: 550 5.7.1
> <pkg-exim4-users-request@lists.alioth.debian.org>.
> .. Relaying denied. Proper authentication required.

Further testing shows that the 'smarthost' does not like the cram_md5
and will only accept mail with the LOGIN authentication.

On occasion the 'smarthost' passes mail that it had previously denied.

The error: RCPT TO: is caused by my having "set followup_to" in my
.muttrc.  Commenting that out has stopped the RCPT TO: notice from the
server.

I have also added "set ignore_list_reply_to=yes" to the muttrc.

This is a windoze server so I guess it is to be expected that what
works for other ISP's does not necessarally work there.

Hopefully this will assist others running into these problems.

What is very sad is that the only way I can reliably send mail to
mailing lists, and having them passed through the server, is with
Kmail in X.  My beloved mutt with exim is just not reliable.  I blame
this on the setup of the 'smarthost'. :-(

Wayne

--
Don't compute and drive; the life you save may be your own.