Re: cd player blocks the soundcard for xmms

On 29/05/05 00:18 Adam Majer wrote:
 >>I searched the mailing list and saw quite a few people with the
opposite problem, but for me, I can play CDs happily but doing so
blocks the soundcard for XMMS and I can only free it up by rebooting.

My soundcard is otherwise configured fine and plays sounds for most
things I've tried - mp3s, DVDs etc.

Any hints? Config below

You you running ALSA or OSS? What kernel are you running? Can you play
multiple streams at the same time?

I'm really not sure. I played around a bit more with XMMS and realised that my problem is actually restricted to totem.

In XMMS I chose the 'eSound Output Plugin' and XMMS works fine now, and in fact the sound driver mixes CD, XMMS and system noises perfectly.

In fact, when totem is having problems, then I just start XMMS and totem will be OK again. So it's just totem.

And it seems that I am using neither ALSA nor OSS, according to the output plugins in XMMS. Is that so? Where in my config do I check what is going on? When I do lsmod |grep snd I get quite a few modules listed:

snd_intel8x0           33068  0
snd_ac97_codec         59268  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_pcm                85384  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_timer              23172  1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc         11144  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
snd_mpu401_uart         7296  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_rawmidi            23204  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device          7944  1 snd_rawmidi
snd 50660 7 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
gameport                4736  2 snd_intel8x0,analog
soundcore               9824  4 snd,i810_audio