UDF woes

I just received a CD-ROM from Ecuador which I'm having trouble mounting.
Under Windows, I'm able to mount the CD-ROM and the Properties dialog
reveals that the CD-ROM contains a UDF filesystem.

Mount -t auto seems to recognize the UDF filesystem too:

    [wohler@olgas:507]$ sudo mount -t auto /dev/cdrom /mnt
    mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
	   missing codepage or other error
	   dmesg | tail  or so

    [wohler@olgas:508]$ dmesg |tail -1
    UDF-fs: No VRS found

However, as you can see, while it recognizes the filesystem type, it
cannot mount it.

A Google search for "udf mount site:lists.debian.org" did not reveal any
previous discussion.

Any suggestions?