Re: fsck on /dev/hde1 during boot,

Curtis Vaughan wrote:
Just installed Sarge on a server with 3 SCSIs and one IDE drive on an Adaptec ATA RAID 1200 A card.

The system starts booting otherwise fine, until it gets to apparently running fsck on the IDE drive. Then it errors out with:

fsck.ext3: No such device or address while trying to open /dev/hde1
Possibly non-existent or swap device?

Then it tells me to run fsck against it or hit Control-D to continue.

Doing a Control-D continues the boot process. Whereas /dev/hde1 = / home, all I have to do after booting up is issue the command mount / home and everything is working fine.

My guess is that for some reason /dev/hde1 is never mounted during the boot process. How can I overcome this problem?

You could try changing the "pass" (7th) /etc/fstab parameter for that
partition to zero, and see if it mounts.  It won't solve the problem,
but could provide a workaround until you find the solution.

BTW, fstab does have an entry for this partition.

Curtis