Re: How to move debian from one drive to another and keep it working?

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 06:49:21AM -0700, David Witbrodt wrote:
> I just installed Debian for the first time.  I have two hard drives, one on the motherboard IDE controller and a bigger, better one on a PCI controller card.
>
> I wanted to install Debian to the drive attached to the PCI controller, but the installer didn't recognize the card, so I was forced to install Debian to the old drive.  Then, the installer installed a kernel that _did_ recognize the PCI controller, so now that Debian is installed to the wrong place I am able to partition and use the drive where I wanted Debian to be in the first place!
>
> I need advice from experienced users on how to move a working Debian from here:
>
>   /         /dev/hda7
>   swap     /dev/hda5
>
> to here:
>
>   /dev/hdg5    /
>   /dev/hdg2    /boot
>   /dev/hdg6    /usr
>   /dev/hdg7    /tmp
>   /dev/hdg8    /var
>   /dev/hdg9    /home

bash#  mount /dev/hdg5 /mnt; mount /dev/hdg2 /mnt/boot/ .... and so on
then..

bash#  tar cvf - / | (cd /mnt/; tar xvf -)

Change the root of the system.

chroot /mnt

And then modify grub config files in order to boot from your new hdg drive [ don't
use grub so I can't help you ]. And execute grub? [ ok I would execute
lilo to save the changes in the MBR of your new /dev/hdg drive ]

p.s: Be sure of having a swap partition in your new drive.

Regards!

--
  Matías Rollán
  <cygar@safesource.com.ar>