Re: The dumb things we do to ourselves.

On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 10:01 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:
> Adam Funk wrote:
>
> > Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> >
> >> Hopefully, someone gets a chuckle out of this.
> >
> > My recent prize-winner was this
> > # ifdown -a
> > over an ssh connection.  Fortunately the computer I was^H^H had been
> > logged into was in the same room as the one I was typing on.
>
> If I had typed
> # ifdown -a ; ifup -a
> would I have been able to ssh back in a moment later?  If not, would
> # ifdown -a ; ifup -a ; /etc/init.d/ssh restart
> have done it?

Just an 'ifdown -a; ifup -a' would have let you back in. I have actually
managed to MAINTAIN a connection that way before. I'm not exactly sure
how that happened but I'd imagine that the length of time that it took
for the connection to get re-established was less than the ssh timeout
period.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837