Re: root compromise on debian woody

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

As far as the kernel, even Linus Torvalds himself, IIRC, has stated that
running kernels from kernel.org is not a good idea unless, 1) you are
testing the kernel and/or developing on it, or 2) you are absolutely
100% certain that you know exactly what you are doing and the
ramifications of that.  Don't forget, that on many occasions, the
release versions of the kernel have security vulnerabilites in them that
are only fixed in daily snapshots and won't become officially available
until the next release.

I take a vanilla, then apply the debian patches I want then do it myself. I choose to do this because it means I can take everything I am not going to need out of it.