Which fonts a program uses

Hi,

The way my box is installed, kpdf is showing really ugly, barely
readable documents. I don't know enough of font-handling under X to
correct this. Specifically, I have the following doubts:

- How do I discover which font-handling method a program uses ?
- How do I discover which fonts are installed on my box, or better put,
  which fonts are available, to each font-handling method ?
- How do I know how fonts are translated, that is, if a program asks for
  a font, which font will be effectively used ?

I wonder if someone could redirect me to some document(s) that could clear
up these doubts.

Thanks
Paulo