Probably a stupid question but...

Dear List,

I wanted to install debian on an amd64 / x86_64 SMP machine from IOS images, I
can't find a suitable set of images on the mirrors I have looked for these
but they are absent.  I have found amd64.debian.org however I am still a
little confused:

Since sarge is due out at the end of the month and this is due to contain a
mainstream amd64 distro should I wait unitl next week to do this?

If this isn't t the best idea (I am in a hurry and I guess this date might
slip) what distro should I use? (I would prefer a 64 bit version).  There SID
and SARGE.

I am not sure which represents the safest or the most cutting edge (testing or
unstable)?  My feeling to go to for the most mainstream which I think is the
sarge distro, is this correct?

If I use the sarge distro, will this be able to automatically link and update
from the sarge tree once it becomes a mainstream release?

Is this a sensible idea? - I use debian on my alpha box and find it extremely
reliable and I am looking for an alternative for my many PC varients all of
which currently run FC1/2/3 (which is beginning to prove irritating enough to
switch).

Cheers,

SA