Re: Custom kernel building and mkinitrd

Ibrahim Mubarak wrote:
--- Ibrahim Mubarak <ibmub80@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I am trying to make my custom-compiled 2.6.11 kernel (source package
version 2.6.11-5) bootable. For lilo and since 2.6, i have both
vmlinuz
links and initrd images for my kernels. For some reason, this one is
not going through. I usually end up building the initrd images myself
(I bet something is missing in the post installation scripts) but
when
I do, it works just fine. This time I got a "find:
/lib/modules/2.6.11.050523/kernel/drivers: No such file or directory"
error. So, I went and created it manually. I know I shouldn't have,

I think this is normally done by the command "make modules install" (after
compiling the modules using "make modules."  There is a more fundamental
issue here, however, regarding custom kernels in a debian system, which I
address below.

but
I wanted to see what happens. And still, my initrd image won't show
up.
mkinitrd did not come back with an error this time, not even saying
that it did not create it. Did an updatedb and then a locate and
nothing comes up. Checked both / and /boot and still no image.

I checked the bugs on initrd-tools, but nothing about this.

Am I the only one with this problem?

ib

OK. So I went ahead and downloaded the latest kernel off of kernel.org,
compiled it and installed it. Still mkinitrd doesn't output the image.

I don't know anything about initrd since I always compile my own kernels
and therefore it's been many years since I've used modules and experienced
the headaches connected with them, but I will offer the following comment
which I hope is helpful: I would advise against bypassing the Debian package
system (including the Debian kernel build process which I think uses a package
called make-kpkg) until you know your way around the distribution.

The Debian kernel build process builds your custom kernels automagically and
presumable avoids these problems like what you are reporting here.  If you
bypass that process then it may affect users' willingness to address any
problems that crop up.  (Unfortunately by force of habit I also bypass the
make-kpkg custom kernel build process, so I won't be of much help to you
about that package, but as a result I also avoid bring any resulting
problems to this list, since I have brought those problems upon myself by
bypassing the recommended process.  I therefore can't recommend my own appraoch
to anyone else.)

So I tried to mkinitrd of the running kernel. Still nothing. I am
guessing it is an initrd-tools bug. But not really sure.

I tried the -k option to see if it does anything. And yes. The tmp
directory gets filled. But I don't know what to do from there to start
debugging.

If you are not going to respond to this, can you at least tell me where
I should go with this problem? Thanks.

apt-get install make-kpkg;man make-kpkg

ib