Re: renice and CGI

Am 24.05.2005 um 03:33 schrieb Willie Gnarlson:

> Can someone suggest a solution for having an often out of control
> search.cgi script run at a certain nice setting?

The best solution is probably to fix the CGI itself ;-)

> I've looked into auto nice daemon (and) and I don't think that's the
> right tool for the job. It would have to poll every few seconds, as
> far as I can tell. It's a perl CGI, but I'm unable to uncover anything
> in the perldocs for having a script renice itself.

The nice() function is in the POSIX module.  You use it like this:

use POSIX ();
POSIX::nice(19);

See "man POSIX" and "man 2 nice" for details.

But seriously: Fix the script instead.  If it's stuck in a loop, fix
the loop.  If your system load is too high because of too many CGIs
beeing executed, have a look at mod_perl.

Regards,
Dennis

--
Send personal mail to dennis@... only.  Off-list