Re: Changes to apt-get

chmod? NEVER!

install sudo and run either

sudo vi /etc/apt/source.list
	or
sudo kate /etc/apt/source.list

The best is the first one, of course. ;-)

To setup sudo:
apt-get install sudo
su -
vi/joe/emacs /etc/sudoers
and add an entry with your username, for example

george  ALL=(ALL) ALL

This way you can execute commands as root by just prepending sudo. It
will ask for you password and remember it for a while, so you don't have
to enter it every time. sudo will forget the password after about 5
minutes of inactivity.

Regards,
Ionut