[sid] Kernel upgrade made system unbootbale

Hello,
  I just upgraded my computer running sid today (24th May, 2005). This upgraded the kernel (2.6.11-1-686-smp), not now my computer does not boot anymore. After the kernel loads, I get this message

Kernel cannot convert a name into device number
check your 'root=' argument paseed on boot by bootloader

this is followed by lot of error messages about files not being accessible, possibly because the root partition could not be mounted. I tried chrooting into the partition and installing kernel 2.6.8-2-smp, but the error messages comes regardless of which kernel I use. Has anyone run into this problem before and solved it ?

--
Gokul