Re: Error message when insmod realtek 8180 WLAN driver

Am 23.05.2005 um 13:23 schrieb Mohammad Halawah:

> Context: I want to install the WLAN driver for realtek 8180 using the driver
> provided by the manufacturer.
>
> Problem: When I insert the module using
> insmode 8180_26_private.ko
>
> I get in the shell the following:
> insmod: error inserting './8180_26_private.ko': -1 Invalid module format
>
> >From dmesg I see:
> 8180_26_private: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
>
> I have tried with debian kernel 2.6.10-1-686 also with compiled kernel
> 2.6.11.8

A kernel module will usually only work for exactly the kernel
version it was compiled for.  You can find out the kernel version,
your module was compiled for, with "modinfo 8180_26_private.ko".

AFAIK Realtek does not provide any source code with their drivers,
only a pre-compiled module for one specific kernel.  This means,
even if it that driver would work for you now, it would stop working
after an update of the kernel.  Such a driver is hardly worth more
than no driver at all.

There is a project [1], which is trying to develop an opensource
driver for that card, although I do not know how well it is working
at the moment.

Another option is ndiswrapper, which is a wrapper around the windows
driver, to make it work on Linux.

Regards,
Dennis

[1] http://rtl8180-sa2400.sourceforge.net/