GDM: configuring mouse pointer shape and blanking screen when not in use.

I've just set up a new Debian testing system and noticed two things about
GDM and X that are different from my home computer (apt-get upgraded
frequently since it was installed a few years ago).  I don't know how to
configure them and would appreciate suggestions or links.

I don't like the shapes of the mouse pointer.  Where do I set them?

After I log out and leave the home computer for a few minutes, GDM blanks
the screen.  The new work computer doesn't -- although I have Option "DPMS"
in the Monitor section of XF86Config-4.  How do I enable this?

Thanks,
Adam