Re: Is there a way to get 30 GB files through the net ...

Am 22.05.2005 um 13:26 schrieb Ibrahim Mubarak:

> I am in a bit of weird situation. I am running a dual boot system. I
> need to be able to let someone I know but lives far be able to upload
> 30 GB or so of data to my PC or download stuff off of it. I also need
> to be able to get it all to the windows side. Yeah, I know you don't
> like win, but it is a must in this situation.
>
> I also need a good solution (not just a quick fix) as I might have to
> get those 30 GB back and forth to my friend quite a few times.

You will definitely want a solution which is able to resume from
a broken connection.  A tool which also checksums your data, to
ensure the correctness of the data is desirable, too:

If both machines were running Linux/Unix I'd recommend "rsync" over
ssh.  You might get rsync to work on Windows, too, with Cygwin [1].

Have you thought about Bittorrent? There are clients like Azureus [2],
which can protect the tracker url with a username/password combination
to make sure that noone else downloads your data.  Azureus is written
in Java and will run well on Linux, Windows and other systems.

Regards,
Dennis

[1] http://www.cygwin.com
[2] http://azureus.sourceforge.net/