Root window slideshows?

I'm using xslideshow to display some images.  But, it's not exactly
what I'd like.  Maybe someone knows of another program or how to make
xslideshow do what I want.

I'd like to just point it at a directory and give a slide show of,
say, the latest 50 photos in random order.   A few fast
dissolves/wipes would be nice, too.  xslideshow's wipes are very slow
(at least on this laptop).

I'm currently using find with -mtime options piped to xargs and
xslideshow.

This is on Sid and running icewm as the window manager.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org