cant write national characters - locales issue?

hi, i've got problems with writing some national (slovak) characters in my system. i've got Debian Sarge and i'm running KDE 3.3.2.

i've got "locales" package installed and configured to support both "en_US.ISO-8859-1" and "sk_SK.ISO-8859-2", "sk_SK" configured as default.

i also checked my "LC_CTYPE" variable and set it to "sk_SK.ISO-8859-2" in "/etc/bash.bashrc" like this:
LC_CTYPE=sk_SK.ISO-8859-2
export LC_CTYPE
to make sure it is always set to the desired slovak charset.

i also installed slovak support for KDE, the "kde-i18n-sk" package.

i've got no problems with this in OpenOffice.org but i still can't write these "special" chars in editors like Kate, Kwrite, Quanta Plus..
i get no error messages.

i know i had this problem in the past too, but setting up locales and LC_CTYPE as i've described worked for me that time, now it doesn't..
could you give me a hint to solve this?
thanks in advance
--
miso