Any experience with oolatex?

I'm trying to use the oolatex script for tex4ht so I can submit a
manuscript currently in LaTeX to a press that needs it in RTF.  I'm
currently having two problems:

1.) oolatex stops with a puzzling error:

! Misplaced \span.
\span ...ew:span {\new:span \HRow .\HCol ;}\:span

l.7 ...mn{2}{r|}{\textbf{Std. \ensuremath{\beta}}}

2.) even if I use batchmode to tell it to ignore the error, the resulting
output doesn't seem to be openoffice output. The .xml file starts
appropriately, but opening it in openoffice just yields xml source, not
the document.  And the graphics are not present at all.

I haven't found much, if any, documentation on oolatex that I can figure
out, so any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu