(OT) gv multiple print -> square numbers

Has anyone worked out why ghostview prints not the number of prints
requested, but the square of that number?  I assume it is not just me,
because it happens on all my debian systems.  I have cups, and sarge and
sid boxes.  When viewing a ps or pdf in gv, select any print function,
add to the small command pop-up window " -# 2" and get 4 prints.  Add
" -# 5" and get 25 prints.  It is good for your mental arithmetic ('How
do I get 13 prints? -- oh, yes, do 3 then 2'), but can be alarming if
you forget and order 23 prints...

--
richard