Re: Is 64MB enough?

On Sat 21 May 05,  8:37 AM, Johan Kullstam <kullstj-ml@comcast.net> said:
> "John Moore" <john7919@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > Thanks but the old clunker's motherboard is not expandable to 256M
> > :-(
>
> Star/Open-Office is not going to be pleasant.  TeX, on the other hand,
> will run like a treat.

TeX always runs like a treat.  But I have to disagree with OO.  It's always
slow.  But I don't think it'll be particularly slower at 64MB as long as the
system isn't loaded down (but perhaps that's what you meant).

> > >in that case you'd need more memory. 256MB is cheap these days.
>
> As you know, It's not as cheap if you need 72-pin EDO SIMMs  memory.

Not all memory is cheap, as I unfortunately recently learned.  Ironically,
old DIMMs --- I'm talking about the slow single density PC100 sticks you'd
put in a Pentium II computer --- are more expensive than the DDR memory
you'd put into a modern Athlon system.

The reason, I've read, is that it takes more silicon wafer surface material
to generate single density DIMMs.

Pete

--
Every theory is killed sooner or later, but if the theory has good in it,
that good is embodied and continued in the next theory. -- Albert Einstein