Re: eclipse 2.1 crash at startup

Quoting David Roguin <nesdavid@gmail.com>:

Hello.

i'm in unstable distro and i want to give a try to eclipse.
I write eclipse in the terminal, but this is what it says:

Including user settings ~/.eclipse/eclipserc...
Creating /home/david/eclipse directory to be used as default workspace...
Using JAVA_HOME and /usr/lib/j2se/1.4/bin/java as java virtual machine...
/home/david/.themes/Whiteplate/gtk-2.0/icons/iconrc:75: Imposible
encontrar un archivo imagen en pixmap_path: «panel-utility.png»
/home/david/.themes/Whiteplate/gtk-2.0/icons/iconrc:76: Imposible
encontrar un archivo imagen en pixmap_path: «panel-searchtool.png»
/usr/share/eclipse/start-functiones.sh: line 28: 12347 Abortado
       (core dumped) $ECLIPSE -showsplash "$SPLASH_PARAM" $OPTIONS
CRASH: Check /home/david/eclipse/.metadata/.log for errors. Also, read
/usr/share/doc/eclipse-platform/README.Debian for possible
reasons, why eclipse crashed.

java -version shows this:
java version "1.4.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build Blackdown-1.4.1-beta)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build Blackdown-1.4.1-beta, mixed mode)

Not sure exactly what is causing your errors, but it looks like it can't
find the necessary resources.  What command are you issuing to start it?

As an aside, I would recommend against using the Debian packaged Eclipse.
It is downright ancient and the 2.1 branch is now dead upstream.  I would
get 3.0 (or better one of the 3.1 milestone builds) from upstream and then
unpack it somewhere in /usr/local, /opt, or your $HOME.  Everything is
contained in its own folder and you can run it by executing /path/to/eclipse.

Just a thought.  The improvements in the newer versions are well worh the
extra trouble.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez