ip route add default nexthop ... not working at all!

When I run the
#ip route add default nexthop via 202.63.XX.XX dev ppp0 weight 1 nexthop via 202.63.XX.XX dev ppp1 weight 1 nexthop via 202.63.XX.XX dev ppp2 weight 1 nexthop via 202.63.XX.XX dev ppp3 weight 1

the output I get on my debian Mepis kernel 2.6.10, with ip utility version iproute2-ss041019 is
RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

I want to give all my ppp connections equal weights but i am unable to do so, but the command

#ip route add default dev ppp0
runs perfectly, while the nexthop commands simply DO NOT work. I've been trying this for 7 days now, still to no avail. PLZ help!