Re: No sound (no /dev/dsp) on newly installed 2.6.8-2-386 with Intel 82801.

Adam Funk wrote:
I've just installed Debian testing on a new computer but I can't get the
sound to work.  I think the problem is that /dev/dsp doesn't exist,
although when I did "modprobe snd-intel8x0" it created /dev/snd/controlC0 and /dev/snd/timer.

The kernel is 2.6.8-2-386 #1 and "lspci -v" includes the following:

0000:00:1b.0 0403: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High
Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 814e
        Memory at cfef8000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/0
Enable-
        Capabilities: [70] #10 [0091]

I'd appreciate any suggestions as I have basically no idea how to debug
sound problems.

Thanks,
Adam

What is the output of "ls /dev/dsp*"?  You should see one or more devices
listed, depending on how many other sounds devices are in your system.
You can cat .wav files into a device file as a test, but beware that
the output may be highly distorted so turn down your volume control.

Beware also that the old standby of making a soft link to /dev/dsp may not
work anymore with udev, since a file system is superimpose on /dev.
Instead I had to configure some OSS apps with /dev/dsp2, the device name
assigned to my audio ASIC. (I think ALSA apps shouldn't care one way or
the other.)