Re: udev how to set up automatic /media/cdrom0

On Mon, 16 May 2005, Mitchell Laks wrote:

> On Monday 16 May 2005 08:49 am, LeVA wrote:
>
> > -> debian-user@lists.debian.org,:
> > > Hi,
> > > are there any knowledgeable users of udev who can tell us how to
> > > configure udev scripts to automatically create
> > > /media/cdrom0 and /media/cdrom1?
[ . . . ]
> However, that udev info  document seems to be focused on the /dev/ devices,
> which makes sense. The crazy behavior that I and others have seen lately in
> debian is that the devices
>
> /media/cdrom0 and /media/cdrom1 disappear after we reboot.
>
> And I thought udev affects only /dev/ files???

udev handles devices (ie. special files in /dev).  udev does not handle
mount-points (ie. directories) in /media/, /mount/, /mnt/...

Software like gnome-volume-manager (others?) will create/delete
mount-points in /media/ by parsing data from udev and hald.

I don't know if there is an official declaration somewhere, but I suspect
that /media/ is for auto-generated mount-points and good old /mnt/ is for
'hand-made' ones.

-- Brad