Re: hdparm init.d script?

On Mon, 16 May 2005 09:46:27 -0400
"Thomas Chadwick" <j_tetazoo@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >From: Jacob S
> >To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >Subject: Re: hdparm init.d script?
> >Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 09:19:29 -0500
>
> [snip]
>
> >Ah, in Woody it's done with the 'hwtools' package - available via
> >apt-get. I think the config file is something like /etc/hwtools.conf,
> >but I may be wrong. ("dpkg -L hwtools | grep etc" will show you all
> >of the files it puts in /etc.)
>
> The description for the Woody version of the hwtools package indicates
> that  it used to contain hdparm, but that was split off into a
> separate pacakge:
>
>     Some programs that were previously part of this package have been
>     moved
>     their own packages (hdparm, scsitools, memtest86)

Right. Hdparm _is_ a separate package, but the init.d script for hwtools
will still run hdparm at boot time (this is in Woody only).

> If there is still something in hwtools that is required to get the
> proper  operation out of the hdparm package, then it should be moved
> to the hdparm  package, or someone needs modify the hdparm package so
> that it requires the  hwtools package.

It is not required to get hdparm to work. It is not even required if you
want hdparm called at boot time - it is just a convenient way of doing
it. Nevertheless, this is probably (part of) why hdparm got its own
init.d script in the version in Sarge and Sid.

HTH,
Jacob

P.S. Cc'ed to Debian-user as I think you meant to keep this on-list.