Re: cdrecord and kernel 2.6.8-2-686

On 5/15/05, Andras Lorincz <andras.lorincz@gmail.com> wrote:
> You should try
>
> cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI
>
> dev=ATA for me doesn't work. You also could edit /etc/xcdroast.conf

Now I discovered something strange: If I have not tried to start k3b,
or k3bsetup since reboot, the command cdrecord 'dev=ATAPI -scanbus'
gives this result:

hjem:/home/vegard# cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
Joerg Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to
<cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.8-2-686
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
cdrecord: Warning: Linux-2.6.8 introduced incompatible interface changes.
cdrecord: Warning: SCSI transport does no longer work for suid root programs.
cdrecord: Warning: if cdrecord fails, try to run it from a root account.
scsidev: 'ATAPI'
devname: 'ATAPI'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be unmaintained.
Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.
Using libscg version 'ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial version of libscg
(ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1 '@(#)scsitransp.c      1.91 04/06/17 Copyright
1988,1995,2000-2004 J. Schilling').
scsibus0:
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
        0,0,0     0) 'SONY    ' 'CDU5211         ' 'YYS2' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) 'LITE-ON ' 'LTR-48126S      ' '2QS5' Removable CD-ROM
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *
hjem:/home/vegard#

Wich is alot better than nothing at all. Still, if I try to start k3b,
the same command gives this output before the terminal hangs, not able
to do any more commands.

[...]

I wish to get k3b working because some of the users of this PC is not
familiar with commandline use.

[snip...]

Does anyone see what might be wrong?
Best regards, Vegard.