Re: Configuring X on Intel 82845 gl board

shatam bhattacharya wrote:

> On Sun, 15 May 2005 Kent West wrote :
> >shatam bhattacharya wrote:
> >
> > > I am having trouble in configuring X on my system.
> >
> >I highly recommend you upgrade to Testing or Sid
> As advised by you I am currently downloading sarge ISO images.

If you're on a network, don't bother with downloading the ISO images.
Just change your "/etc/apt/sources.list" file to change all occurences
of "stable" to "sarge" (except the security line; leave it at "stable"),
then run the two commands "apt-get update" and "apt-get dist-upgrade".

> By the way I tried to recompile 2.4; All went well, but on
> booting(with grub) it displays an error --
> file system is ext2. File system not supported.

Sounds like you either made ext2 support a module, or you did not
include it at all.

Once you do the apt-get update/dist-upgrade as mentioned above, you can
easily get a pre-built 2.4 kernel with "apt-cache search
kernel-image-2.4" to see which versions are available, then "apt-get
install kernel-image-2-4<whatever version you need>".

--
Kent