Re: Problems with Video Adapter

On 5/14/05, Romulo Sousa <romulosousa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I installed a GeForce4 64M Ti and load the module rivafb throughtout
> the modconf. I can't initiate the X server. And now I can't disable
> the "rivafb" from modconf cuz it is used even as single user. How can
> I fix that?

I have a similar problem.
I upgraded to discover 2 recently and noticed that it uses different
configuration files. This as lead the module rivafb to be loaded again
while I was previously using the (compiled by myself via the
appropriate packages) nvidia module. This then caused the nvidia
module not to load anymore.
I haven't been able to find how to indicate discover not to load the
rivafb module anymore, the docs are not really usable to me and
putting "skip rivafb" in a lot of places where they seemed appropriate
(the new discover 2 conf files) had no effect at all.

So, in the end I resigned myself to a very dirty thing and simply
erased rivafb.ko from my hard drive (it is in
/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/kernel/drivers/riva or a similar path).

This is clearly not a clean thing to do, but it works. I desperately
searched for useful documentation about discover2 configuration, but
this looks very clumsy and strangely organized to me.

Regards,
Laurent