Re: Please help: Accidentally wiped off the whole hard disk!!!

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 21:06 -0400, Deboo ^ wrote:
> On 5/13/05, Jeremy T. Bouse <jbouse@debian.org> wrote:
> >         Quite a pickle you've found yourself in, this is a good example
> > for why not using root much is good. If at this time all you've done is
> > repartition and save the partition table then the data *should* still be
> > in tact on the drive. Experience with data forensics has taught me this.
>
> Yes, but even if I had done a sudo, still I might have done the same
> thing. My fault was that I became careless in using the write command
> in fdisk. I shoould have double-checked.

My own problem is in telling the difference between drives. At least
Linux calls them hda and sda (I usually have a SCSI drive on the /
dir(s), and an IDE for a cheap black hole). BSD calls them 'ad' and
'da'! Dyslexics of the world untie :-)

This thread is also an argument for partitioning disks the way my laptop
is: All one partition. At least it's easy to remember...

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com