Re: Please help: Accidentally wiped off the whole hard disk!!!

On 5/13/05, Tony Godshall <togo@of.net> wrote:
> According to Lee Braiden,
> > On Friday 13 May 2005 18:32, Deboo ^ wrote:
> > > Since it's not yet formatted, I would think there must be a way to
> > > recover all the data still. I could install this knoppix on the small
> > > 3 GB hdd and connecting the big hdd, try to recover. Is there a
> > > program I can use to recover the data?
> >
> > Yes, there is a program around for recovering partition tables.  I just don't
> > recall the name.  But wait for someone to point you to it.  In other words,
> > don't get impatient and break stuff before you get a good answer ;)
>
> I used gpart once.
>
> Your milage may vary.
>
> Suggest you dd the whole drive to a backup file before you
> try anything.

Right now I do not have a backup drive to store so much but I do have
another smaller driver (the one on which I installed Solaris). I could
do a trial of whatever I wish to do on the drive in question, and then
do the real thing after this trial succeeds.

Btw, I got the file that has the partition information and it has the
exaxt figures from fdisk -l. I think I'm half-saved now. But I'll do a
trial of this on the smaller hdd anyway. If this fails, I won't go
ahead with fdisk on the drive in question.

One thing though. I had simply done a fdisk -l  >> partitions.txt and
that is the file I am going to use to reconstruct the partitions.
Would these be the exact figures? I haven't partitioned the drive
since the first time and I use grub so no lilo's backup.

I have heard bad reports from a friend about gpart, so don't know if I
should use it or not.

Thanks and Regards,
Deboo
--
Please don't Cc: me, I'm subscribed to the list.