Re: On-the-fly raidtools2 -> mdadm upgrade

On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 03:52:46PM +0400, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
} I'm running a multi-user server, where /home is on a software raid.
} I've just found that it is still managed by 'raidtools2' package from woody
} (while most packages installed on the server are from sarge).
}
} Is it possible/safe to replace raidtools2 package with mdadm package while
} server is running and used? Isnt' there any danger of data damage?

You would need to unmount the RAID partitions, run raidstop, then mdadm -A
and remount. If you are using lvm on top of RAID, you obviously need to
deactivate lvm before you will be able to raidstop.

Basically, you will need everyone logged off so the partitions can be
unmounted, lvm turned off (if applicable), and the RAID stopped. If you
still consider those requirements "on-the-fly" then the answer is yes. Now,
if the server is only a file server and no one actually logs into it, you
shouldn't have a problem; people's processes on client machines would
freeze while the server is off (which it would have to be to be able to
unmount filesystems).

It may help you figure out just how much needs to be taken down if you use
lsof | grep home to see what processes are using it.

--Greg