Re: KDE, Kernel, Varia Downloading and Installing

David R. Litwin wrote:
> Essentially, I am asking how one installs in Debian.
>
> Firstly, I would like to get KDE 3.4. I am currently using KDE 3.3. Is
> there a way to upgrade without having to do a full installation? Or, can
> I run apt-get install kde or some thing like that?

I don't believe that KDE 3.4 is available yet.  Only 3.3 is getting into
Sarge, so they may be holding off the introduction of such a large
change until after release.  However, you can get the "preview" packages
(more info here: http://wiki.debian.net/?Kde34 ).  Once the correct
repository is in your sources.list, KDE 3.4 is just an apt-get away.

> Next, there is a newer Kernel. How do I get that. Same as above.

Depends.  Do you want a precompiled kernel or one you compile yourself?
What version are you running now?  (Hint: run `uname -a`)

> Nextly, I want to get BOINC. One the installation page, it says this:
>
>     * Use gunzip to uncompress the file if your browser has not done it
>       for you.
>     * chmod +x the executable.
>     * put the executable into a separate directory (say, boinc/).
>     * run the executable. The first time you run it you'll need to
>       attach it to a project.
>
> What the devil does all of that mean? How do I install it?

Just what it says.  You download the file, and run `gunzip <filename>`
then `chmod +x <filename>` followed by placing it in its own directory.
Personally, I would put it in /usr/local/bin.  Then you can execute it
from the command line.

If you want to see it packaged for Debian, file a RFP bug (Request for
Package): http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/

> Nextly (I'm sorry this is so long), I want to get GAIM. How do I install
> that?

aptitude install gaim

> Nextly, I 'installed' Firefox, but the only way I can run it is by going
> in to the directory where I installed it and clicking on firefox, a
> shell script. How do I get a nice icon and stick it next to the K menu
> (is that the panel?).

Where did you obtain firefox?  Debian repository or directly from
Mozilla?  If you got it from Mozilla, it will not integrate itself into
your debian menus.  Delete it and `aptitude install mozilla-firefox`.

> Alright. I think that that is all for now. I apologise for the length of
> this, but I am new to Debian and am determined to use it in lieu of
> Windows, so I'd better start learning how to do these basic things.

No problem.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez