Re: how to remove debian

Charles Li wrote:

>On one of my pc, I have debian and winXP dual boot,
>with XP on the hda1.
>I would like to remove debian, can I just delete the
>partition?

Yes, but that will leave you with a blank partition. You might as well
leave Debian on it for future/emergency use.

Unless of course you know how to make that blank partition usable to
your Windows install. For example, you could reformat it as FAT32 or
NTFS and use it as drive D:. Or you could mount it as a subdirectory
(similar to how partitions are mounted in Debian as "subdirectory" names
instead of as drive letters), but IIRC you can't do this with any of the
interesting subdirectories like "Program Files" or "Documents and
Settings", at least not easily; Windows simply isn't designed to
"mount"; it wants to use drive letters.

>What about grub, can I still use it just
>for XP

Yes, you can, but if you're switching to an all-Windows system, you
might want an all-Windows system.

> or do I need to restart XP's boot loader?

You should be able to boot of the installer CD and use the "Repair
Console" option and rerun either" fixboot" or "fixmbr"; I forget which
tool does what; I think the "fixmbr" is the one you want.

>Thanks,
>Charles Li

I assume you didn't like Debian?

--