Re: Please help: Accidentally wiped off the whole hard disk!!!

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 13:32 -0400, Deboo ^ wrote:

> Since it's not yet formatted, I would think there must be a way to
> recover all the data still.

I think that's right. If you know *exactly* the way the disk was
partitioned before (and nothing has been written to it), you should be
able to run fdisk and put the old partition back.

If something's been written, it (probably) scribbled over something. But
the rest of the disk should be OK.

> Is there a
> program I can use to recover the data? Is it possible without using a
> second 40 GB hard disk or it is not?

The only thing I know of is to simply put the partition table back the
way it was. It's theoretically possible to dd the entire disk and get it
back, but you'd need that data reeeely badly to even think about that.

Like I said, though, "The only thing I know of."

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com