Re: xwindows

Can't you just delete the config file and re-run dpkg-reconfigure? I think
that has worked for me in the past, but maybe I imagined it :)

Not sure, I am noob myself so I might try this next time.

The md5 approach seems overly complicated to reconfigure a file :)

Couldn't agree more:) You do have to rename the original file so as not to overwrite it, so I would have thought this was the same as deleting it. I do like to keep a copy of the original as it invariably has to be tweaked after running dpkg-reconfigure, in my case anyway.

Wackojacko