Re: laptop and different networks

On Thu, 12 May 2005 18:50:07 +0200, H. S. wrote:

> Hi,

Hi.

> I am supposed to configure a laptop so that is can be connected to a
> CAT5 cable on either a home LAN or a university LAN. Currently, the
> laptop is configured as a dhcp client in the home network and has a
> fixed IP address in the university network.

I'm in exactly the same situation and after some fiddling I've arrived at
a setup that works very well. The packages I use are

ifplugd - automatically configure/deconfigure interfaces when the link
status changes
guessnet - tools for checking which network you're on
resolvconf - notify libc etc of changes in current DNS servers
nscd - cache DNS information (not really necessary, but useful if your ISP
has flaky name servers)
iputils-arping - useful for setting up your /etc/network/interfaces
dhcp3-client - ISC DHCP client

The contents of (relevant parts of) the most important config files are as
follows, with some additional comments interspersed:

/etc/network/interfaces
-------------------------------
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

mapping eth0
script /usr/sbin/guessnet-ifupdown
map ubc home
map default: home

iface ubc inet static
address A.B.C.D  # Substitute your assigned static IP for A.B.C.D
netmask 255.255.255.0 # Or whichever netmask you should have
gateway X.Y.Z.W # Your default gw IP goes here
dns-nameservers 1.2.3.4  5.6.7.8 # IP's of your nameservers go here
test-peer address X.Y.Z.W mac e:f:g:h:i:j source A.B.C.D
# The line just above checks the mac address of your default gateway
# You should already know what "X.Y.Z.W" and "A.B.C.D" are
# To find "e:f:g:h:i:j", type "arping X.Y.Z.W" in a terminal window

iface home inet dhcp
# No tests or anything else needed here. If the above test-peer
# fails, the home interface should be brought up by default and
# everything set up via DHCP.

--------------------------------

/etc/default/ifplugd
-----------------------------------
INTERFACES="eth0"
HOTPLUG_INTERFACES=""
ARGS="-q -f -u0 -d10 -w -I"
SUSPEND_ACTION="stop"
----------------------------------

/etc/default/hotplug
# Some lines before this
# NET_AGENT_POLICY
# - how to manage network interfaces with ifupdown? 'all', 'auto' or 'hotplug'
NET_AGENT_POLICY=hotplug
# and some lines after this

Regards,

Johan