group web software

This is by no means a debian based question, but the software would be on a debian box and everyone on this list seems very knowledgable, so this seems like a great place to start.

I'm looking for some web application that will allow the creation and management of community groups. Something like Google Groups or Yahoo Groups. I'd like a webapp that will allow me to register and create a group that others can join and the group members would be able to use a common message board and perhaps a gallery. It would be awesome if there was little administration (since that would be my job).

If anyone knows of any software that might do this for me, that would be very cool. We want a way for students to create these groups without us having to manage a separate instance of phpBB or some other forum for each individual group. Not to mention group management and keeping track of group changes.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  As always, Thanks for looking!

Nate Kroll