Re: something odd

On Thursday 12 May 2005 18:34, Marc Jackson wrote:
> I downloaded the software 2.4.20 to build a new kernel on an alpha machine.
>
> It compiled and I have a working kernel.
>
> Oddly enough, after booting on the new kernel ... uname -a returned 2.2.20.
>
> Can anyone think of why this would happen?

Your bootloader wasn't updated, I guess.

> Also,  I'm trying to get iptables to work.  Within the directory
> 2.4.20 I can find ip_tables.o.
> How would I get this loaded into the kernel such that /sbin/iptables
> -L doesn't complain about missing modules?

Fix your kernel first, then it may get better.  But if you're using
kernel-package, it should probably be working fine now.  If you're not, I
suggest forgetting what you just did, and trying again with kernel-package.

--
Lee.

Please send replies to the list, not to my email address.