Re: Limiting ssh scans

Paul Johnson wrote:

> Already answered this month.  Please search the archives.  Summary
> answer:  Don't allow logins from networks no legitimate users will be
> coming from.

Paul and "s.",

I *did* search the archives. I had hoped to avoid these sorts of
comments by mentioning that I had searched already. Perhaps you didn't
realize that Google indexes lists.debian.org and you can limit your
search to the archives with "site:lists.debian.org".

Dennis' reply was helpful as he gave me the keywords to look for. Note
that the "SSH blocking" thread did not appear in at least the first
100 hits of "ssh site:lists.debian.org". Since there were over 195,000
hits, the thread would not be easy to find if you didn't have the
right keywords

I hope solutions other than the one given above were presented. The
solution above can be done trivially with the firewall, but is
unusable since I log in from random places around the Internet.