Re: Backup and Restore Strategy

I don't know how big your system is, but I have been very happy recently with Mondo. I recently had occasion to test the bare-metal restore, and it worked perfectly, to a different machine even! In less than an hour, I had a clone of the other box - everything - OS and data. I'm on esting/Sarge. - John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Patterson" <steve@patter.mine.nu>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 2:05 PM
Subject: Re: Backup and Restore Strategy

Bob Freemer wrote:
I'd really like the ability to do a minimal debian reinstall and then
simply copy over appropriate files and do apt-get dist-upgrade or
something like that.  Modifying /etc/fstab might be required but other
than that any other issues to concern myself with?

I usually back up /etc, /boot and anywhere else I've added data (/home
and /usr/local/), plus a list of installed packages (dpkg
--get-selections).  Its then relatively easy to wipe the system, install
the base packages, feed in the old installed package list to install
from and overwrite /etc with the backed-up version.

--
Stephen Patterson steve@patter.mine.nu http://patter.mine.nu/
Linux Counter No: 142831 GPG Public key: E3E8E974